Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grass.

So it's true, I express myself in writing. I can't seem to process things unless I see them written. Visual learner as I like to call it, sounds better that way. Tonight I told Trev I felt a new blog in the making...His response "haha oh gahhh ;) jk" I think that was because sometimes he never knows what's going on inside until he sees my blog. whoops! So here's a big fat thank you to my better half. You are so patient with me and for that I thank you.

Here is "the blog in the making". Enjoy.

I walked out to the backyard swing to relax, read, pray, and sit after what was yet another LONG, exhausting day with nearly 20 eight year olds. How I survive days like today...only by the grace of Jesus. Anyways, so I was walking to the swing, barefooted I might add, and I noticed how dry the grass is. It doesn't feel comfortable on bare feet AT ALL, and it certainly is not very pretty. Then I thought of the lack of rain lately and how awful of shape that grass will be in after this weekend (99-106 degrees coming). DRY DRY DRY.

Then I felt the Lord saying to me, "That is what happens when you, Ashton, aren't connected to THE water supply. The hot, scorching, desert sun comes and dries you out. You aren't "comfortable" to be around, and you certainly aren't very "pretty" (spiritually speaking). There will ALWAYS be droughts and desert seasons but you must remember to stay deeply rooted to THE water source so that you will survive the heat of those times."

And then I saw that the grass under the shade tree didn't appear so 'dead' or look so 'weary and worn' and to that He spoke, "That's why you must rest in the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1; which just so happened to also be a significant verse in my quiet time last night)

So after all of this, I sat back and thanked the Lord for speaking to the depths of my soul. But then I realized He wasn't quite finished. I was reading some scripture and he led me to this verse: All men are like grass and all their glory is like flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flower falls...(Isaiah 40:6)

At first I was a bit confused, why did He say to be rooted in the living water source so I don't wither, when now He is showing me scripture that says people ARE withering grass? But after reading it again I caught it...

The key words here are: THEIR GLORY. My glory dries out, is scorched, withers, and falls. And rightly so. For when my own glory is standing in the way people can't see The REAL GLORY,  Christ's glory.

As contradicting as this may sound, my prayer tonight for both you and I is that we (grass) do not wither in the dry, desert heat. That we find ourself always connected to THE water source- the Living Water. And that we will dwell in the shadow of the Almighty One, not only when it's hot but in all times- Desert seasons and Spring times. Yet I also beg the Lord to make my own glory wither and fall. That Ashton's glory dies in order that people might see "The Heavens declaring the glory of God and the skies proclaiming the work of His hands." (Psalm 19:1)- For believe me that is WAY better a show than wilting grass. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! this is the second time i ever read your blog and i needed this. I love the part when you said "my prayer for you and i" thanks for the blog!(: and i will keep you in my prayers.
    -Justine Bailey(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel the Lord speaking through you when I read your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... did the Lord ever speak to me through your blog. I am going through a very dry time and this was just what I need to be reminded of. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete