Wednesday, January 19, 2011

incredible india.

"now that i have seen, i am responsible. faith without deeds is dead. now that i have held you, in my own arms, i won't let go til you are HIS."

this song has quickly become the song of my life. after spending a few days in the 2nd largest city in the world and the 3rd largest red light district- Mumbai has forever changed me. The things i saw, will never be erased, and now...i am responsible to do something, anything. Walking in the heart of the red light district, brothels on both sides of the street, and as far as the eye can see. Every man is a pimp or a customer, every woman a prostitute, and every child destined for this same life. I saw men coming down the stairs putting their clothes back on. I saw babies hiding in their mothers arms, as her own eyes are filled with hopelessness like Ive never seen before. America needs to see. America needs to know. the injustices across the world are almost unbearable to even think of. In India alone nearly 8 million women are prostitutes. 3.3 of those are ages 15-18, and 2 million are between the ages of 5 and 15. HALF of the girls are minors. And over 90% of these women were lied to, stolen, forced, or sold by their own loved ones into this life. Majority, with no way out. Its sickening. The images i have stuck in my head will never leave, and I'm at the point where i pray they never will. I pray i never be "okay" with the things i saw. I pray i never lose the righteous anger i have inside for this injustice. Purity, Hope, Life has been stolen. What will it take to get those things back for these women. The answer is simple...Jesus. Restoration. Rescue. But that answer is much easier said than done. So let's start with something tangible...PRAY. Are you supposed to do something about it? Be open. Let the Lord speak.

As I walked the streets of Mumbai, a woman stopped me and began begging me to take her baby boy home with me to America. My eyes flooded with tears. That's love, real love. She loved him so much that she was actually willing and begging for me to take him away because she knew life with me, a white stranger, was far better than any life she could even imagine of giving him.
Wow. That's humbling.

Needless to say, the week i spent in mumbai was a very emotional week, but i am so honored that God picked ME to do this. I cant fathom why, but i will embrace it. For i have been called to India for such a time as this. And for that, i will praise my Savior all the more.

Now, I'm back in Hyderabad. A city that I've grown to love. God's city. God's place. They just need to blinders to be lifted. Psalm 115:4-8 says, "Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes but do not see. They have ears but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them, and so do all who trust in them." As i read this verse a few days ago, my heart was stirred up inside. We must pray against these things in the lives of the Hindus here in India. They have become like their gods, and OUR GOD is greater. Their eyes, ears, hearts, lips must be open. Pray for that. Pray for the veils to be lifted, that they may come to know the ONE TRUE GOD. The lover of their souls. The King of Kings, Prince of Peace.

its week three for me. India is more than i could've dreamed for. I miss home more than i could've imagined, but He is holding my hand. I'm here for a purpose, and that is enough to keep doing what I'm doing. I appreciate all the prayers, and uplifting emails and posts. They help me get through the tough days. I would love to update more, however duty calls. I only get one day a week for internet, so just keep praying. And when i get back in march ill be sure to share ALL my stories! LOVE to you all. MISS you all so much.

TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY!

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading your post. Keeping you in my prayers daily. I love you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration!!! Watching you as you serve the Lord is heart warming and faith growing. I am so thankful to God that He has allowed me to be a part of your journey. It's a joy to watch you as you grow even closer to Him through your obedience and love. I am praying for you as you continue in this wonderful Relationship Growing adventure! God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashton may God be with you every second and keep you safe. Love and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also pray you never lose that righteous anger. I know you won't. My prayers are with you, and India, and so many other places. Thank you, Ashton, because this is just what I needed to read right now.

    Until ALL have Heard,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete